The library provides a variety of services and resources for seniors in our community.
Read below for more information...
Library Services for Seniors
The library provides a wide variety of materials and services, including: public access computers, free Internet access, movies, books, magazines, large-print books, audiobooks, interlibrary loan, and more...!
Library Programs for Seniors
The Library offers various ongoing programs developed for seniors:
We offer a complimentary home delivery service program delivering library materials to Laurentian Hills residents of any age who are unable to get to the library. Material is selected at the customer's request by our staff. A volunteer will deliver and pick up borrowed material. For further information regarding this service please contact us.
COMPUTER TRAINING AND TECHNICAL HELP
The Library also offers basic computer lessons to its patrons. We can help you learn how to use a computer, email, and learn many other skills. Please contact the library for more information.
Websites for Seniors
Are you looking for senior-friendly information? We've compiled some links and sites just for you!
- Statistics Canada: Seniors - a closer look at the statistics of Canadian seniors.
- Third Age - leading online lifestage media, marketing and consumer insight company exclusively focused on serving today's dynamic population of adults in mid-life who are intent on living life to its fullest.
- CARP - is for Canadian seniors and similar to the AARP web site. The CARP website is a resource for current news stories and stories of particular interest to seniors.
- Seniors Zen - The SeniorsZen site has resources to help with your research and also explains the varying types of care and housing styles such as Independent Living, Assisted Living, Nursing Homes and Home Care. The user-friendly directories provide lists by city and there are also articles and blogs that clarify the differences in types of care and explain the uniquenesses between the provinces.
GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS & SERVICES
- Canada Benefits - your gateway to government-wide information about benefit programs and services for individuals.
- Charities Listings - search the list of registered Canadian charities.
- National Advisory Council on Aging - An American page dealing with all matters related to aging and the quality of life of seniors.
- Ministry of Seniors Affairs - supports, develops and delivers public services to improve the quality of life for seniors and helps them lead safe, engaged, active and healthy lives.
- Ontario Seniors Co-Payment - The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care had developed communications materials to promote changes in the Seniors Co-Pay Program.
- Seniors Canada Online - federal information services such as taxes, pensions.
- Veterans Affairs - links to programs and services for veterans.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Alzheimer Society of Canada -- information about the disease and related dementias, caregiving, research, and more.
- Arthritis Society -- information about the disease, tips for living well, research, news, programs and services, and more.
- C-Health -- providing consumers with objective, accurate, and current healthcare information on the web.
- Canadian Hearing Society -- the only national not-for-profit organization supporting Canadians who are hard of hearing.
- CNIB -- services for the sight-impaired.
- Division of Aging and Seniors -- from the Public Health Agency of Canada, providing federal leadership in areas pertaining to aging and seniors. The Division serves as a focal point for information and centre of expertise.
- Healthy Ontario -- seniors section of the health resource website from the Ontario provincial government.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation -- preventing and reducing disability and death from heart disease and stroke through research, health promotion and advocacy.
- Long Term Care Planning Network -- resources designed to make your life as a caregiver easier.
- Osteoporosis Canada -- educates, empowers and supports individuals and communities in the risk-reduction and treatment of osteoporosis.
- Public Health Agency of Canada -- access timely, trusted and credible public health information through a single source.
HOUSING & LEGAL
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation -- ideas for adapting your home.
- The Care Guide -- Canada's most comprehensive guide to seniors' housing and care services including retirement residences, long-term care, in-home care, community support, hospice care and independent/supportive living.
- Finding a lawyer -- from the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Ontario Community Support Association -- services to help seniors live at home.
- Power of Attorney kit -- print your own form -- from Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General.
MONEY & FINANACE
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) -- section for 65 and over.
- CHIP -- the reverse mortgage program for seniors.
- Income Security Programs -- from the federal government.
- Retirement Advisor -- a variety of online tools for calculating retirement scenarios.
- Tax information slips -- for recipients of OAS and CPP benefits.
TRAVEL & LEISURE
- Bed and Breakfast Canada -- Canada's complete bed and breakfast web server.
- Canadian Snowbird Association -- for seniors who travel. Information about health insurance, travel tips and more.
- Parks Canada -- Discover Canada's national parks, historic sites and conservation areas.
- Recreational Vehicles (RVs) -- everything you need to know before buying, renting or traveling with your RV.
- Seniors Travel Guide -- Seniors travel guides, tips, and suggestions.
Disclaimer: While this website may contain links to third-party sites, the Laurentian Hills Public Library and its web designers are not responsible for the content of any linked sites, including any damages that might result from visiting these pages. We provide these links as a convenience and do not endorse the organizations or contents of any linked sites.
Libraries are COOL! Come in, borrow some books, sit right down, read a magazine or …
The Laurentian Hills Public Library Board is accepting applications for the position of CEO / …
NEW HOURS Beginning 2 May, both branches of Laurentian Hills Library moved to new opening …
- Date modified: